Types of Poker Tournaments
- Sit & Go Poker Tournaments
- Sit & Go’s (SNGs) only start when a pre-set number of players are registered. Anywhere from 2 – 360 players can play, with 6 or 9 players at each table. Usually, the top 3 get paid in single table SNGs (STTs), with first place taking the lion's share of the kitty!
- MTTs (Multi-Table Tournaments)
- MTTs are THE big-money poker battles. With very little risk, you can turn a small bankroll into a monster-sized payday. You buy in for a set price and as players bust out, remaining players get moved around to other tables. Luckily, MTTs offer prize payouts to the top 10% - 15%.
- Heads-Up Poker Tournaments
- Heads-Up Poker tourneys are one-on-one, player-versus-player match ups. They are tense, edge-of-your-seat poker tournaments. Any even number of players can compete in these battles. But, not to worry, you only have to face one opponent at a time, until only one champion is left standing.
- Poker Satellite Tournaments
- Poker satellites are low buy-in tournaments that allow you to get tickets to higher buy-in events. They are sort of like the lottery of poker tourneys, but with the added bonus of smaller fields, and a better chance of winning. Prizes include tickets to bigger buy-in events online and live, like the WSOP.
5 Basic Poker Tournament Tips
Tight to Aggressive: There are 3 stages in tournaments, Beginning, Middle and Late. Play tighter at the start and more aggressively in the later stages.
Bet Right: Study the table and adjust the sizes of your bets so that they make sense. Early on, 2.5xBB is reasonable pre-flop raise and 50-70% a good c-bet amount.
Times to Push or Fold: Never let your stack fall below 10BB. If it does, learn the right times to either push all-in or fold.
Have a Tournament Strategy: And stick to it! If you want to make the final table, have a plan to include picking off weak opponents, and pressuring smaller stacks.
Timely Aggression: Not all aggression is created equal. It's the timing of it that's important. Make sure that when you 3bet, or come over the top, it's warranted.