Progressive knockout poker tournaments are similar to the knockout format but carry an exciting twist - part of the bounty we win for eliminating another player is added to our own bounty! This means it is possible to end up with huge bounties on our heads after knocking out many opponents.
Fancy giving knockout tournaments a try? They are available on the 888poker client. Check out the following link for more information on the variant.
Why Play Knockout (KO) Tournaments at 888poker?
- Even if we don’t have a deep run we can still potentially win a nice profit from collecting bounties.
- There is less emphasis on the late stages of the tournament. This makes the whole event exciting from start to finish.
- Even though this is not the traditional tournament format we can still find knockout games to play 24/7 on 888poker.
- The format tends towards attracting recreational players, increasing the likelihood of a big payout.
- Tournament poker entails big variance. It is possible to go for extended periods of time without profit.
- Tournaments are less flexible than cash games. Big blocks of time are required to see a tournament through.
- Short stacked play is a big component of tournaments. Less exciting for those who like to play deep.
Is This Tournament Type for You?
Tournament poker is the most exciting variant available. Who wouldn’t be interested in the chance for a huge payout over the course of single day? From a relatively small investment we could find ourselves with a large bankroll very quickly.
One advantage of knockout tournaments is the lower variance. The fact that bounty awards may sometimes cover our buyin means that big downswings are less common. Of course, the flip side is that big upswings are also less likely given that a chunk of the prize-pool is set aside for bounty awards.
There is less incentivize for players to play ultra-tight styles in knockout tournaments, since they would be forgoing the opportunity to pick up bounties. This format hence tends to generate more action than regular MTTs. If we love to splash around stacks while still preserving our bankroll for longer, this is the format for us.
Knockout Tournament Strategy Tips
- Target Shorter Stacks - The expected value of any decision is increased when we have our opponent covered. This is because we have the opportunity to eliminate our opponent.
- Use ICM Calculations – Similar to regular tournaments, the profitability of decisions should be analysed using ICM (Independent chip modelling). Just because a play increases the size of our stack on average, does not mean it is necessarily profitable on average.
- Aim for the Final Table – While bounties provide a nice incentive to increase our aggression, the main profit still comes from targeting the higher end of the prize pool. It’s usually better to take a shot at maintaining a healthy stack and risking busting out, than it is to reach the bubble with a helplessly dwindled stack.
- Change Strategy Based on Stack – The correct approach to a given hand will depend on our current stack depth (amongst other variables such as the blind structure). Very short stacks should look to play aggressively rather than waiting to bust out. Bigger stacks can often be more conservative/patient, although they should look to eliminate shorter stacks as often as possible (especially when no threat is posed to their tournament life).